I have read this article entitled “Utah mother hopes son’s death will help put a stop to bullying”, and I can relate to the boy’s experiences of having been bullied when he was growing up as I have also been bullied before when I was in school. Although it was not intense bullying unlike the case reported in the article, the episodes in which I was made to feel I don’t fit in resulted in me having memory flashbacks by the time I reached university, and their hurtful words would remind me I don’t matter. I had suicidal thoughts at times, and writing diary entries and poems was an outlet for me to vent the feelings of rejection and loneliness.
The past hurts have in a way enabled me to understand what others go through when they were bullied – I have come to realise words are powerful and have a long term psychological effect. The schoolmates who said hurtful words to me probably didn’t realise the impacts and some might think they were just making fun of me. I can understand why the 13-year-old boy would take his own life because of the frequent psychological bullying he received in school when he was made to feel he could not fit in.
I think teenagers growing up at that age usually are finding their own identity and peer acceptance was important to them. If they are made to feel rejected constantly, it would seem like life would no longer be worth living for them. Like what the boy’s mother said, she hopes people take to heart the message of kindness and acceptance for schools and communities and households, and she wants to be able to say her son’s death was not in vain.
Stop Bullying Now – ASL
Gallaudet University graduate students in the Dept. of social work made this video as part of the honor society, Mu Pi.
Our hope is to spread awareness, address bullying within our schools and communities, and prevent future harm to children and adolescents.
I know what it feels like to be bullied. It sucks. Please make sure you share this video with your friends! Together we can put a end to bullying. #StopBullyingNow
- UVU students join with Miss Utah for anti-bullying campaign (fox13now.com)
- Bullying Attack Leaves Boy in Coma (abcnews.go.com)
- Teachers Take on Bullying in Schools (whlt.com)
- Recent death prompts one school to battle bullying (ksl.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: One Milwaukee school’s stance against bullying (fox6now.com)
- Ashley Riggitano: Facebook Bullying Fueled Depression & Suicide (hollywoodlife.com)
- Anti-bullying law forces schools, parents to deal with abusive behaviour (montreal.ctvnews.ca)
- Kate Gosselin Says She Has ‘Deep Scars’ From Being Bullied – ‘I Felt Insecure, Alone & Ugly’ (radaronline.com)
- Mother takes a stand against bullying (kjrh.com)
- Former Bully ‘Stands Up’ to End Bullying in His District (wsaz.com)